News of the Prisoners
- Javad Alikhani transferred to Modarres hospital for kidney stones problems.
- Chair of Participation Front Mohsen Mirdamadi was transferred to hospital from Evin on Sunday.
- Narges Mohammadi transferred to Evin clinic and then to Zanjan prison.
- Sarir Sadeghi transferred from Pelak 100 to Shiraz prison.
- Riaz Sobhani transferred from Rejaei Shahr handcuffed and shackled to a hospital in Tehran
- Yaghoob Moghani Kar arrested in Karaj and sent to Rejaei Shahr prison, Intel. ward.
- Status and whereabouts of 85 year old Baha’i Mohammad Hossein Nakhaei arrested in Birjand in a raid of his home on May 13th are still unknown.
- Akbar Pourhosseini, baha’i, arrested in Semnan.
- Jalal SalehPour (Bulut) student and poet in Tabriz University, was arrested by Intel.
- Mohammad Javad Shahpari joins two other member of his family in Evin prison
- Afrasihab Sobhani, baha’i, arrested in Semnan.
- Zahed Banafeshi arrested on May 1st in Sanandaj, released on bail from Intelligence detention center.
- Babol University student activist Moein Ghamin has been released after 23 days in detention.
- Shirkoo Kordi arrested on May 1st in Sanandaj, released on bail from Intelligence detention center.
- Mohammad Latifi arrested on May 1st in Sanandaj, released on bail from Intelligence detention center.
- Human Rights activist member of One Million Signatures Campaign and a member of the Cultural and Social Association of Women of Azarmehr in Kurdistan, Ronak Safarzadeh, an Iranian Kurd, released after 55 months
- Hamid Tarimoradi arrested on May 1st in Sanandaj, released on bail from Intelligence detention center.
- Iran Freedom Movement member Mohammad Tavasoli has been released on furlough.
- After more than 2 years in prison, student activist Sina Zahiri was released from Rejaei Shahr prison.
Activist Peyman Aref has been summoned to court once again.
- Opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi, under house arrest, met with his family.
- Iran opposition leader Mir-Hossein Moussavi and his wife Zahra Rahnavard, under house arrest, met with Rahnavard’s mother.
- Imprisoned writer, democratic theorist Massoud Pedram on hunger strike.
- Iran demolishes houses of activists in Ahwaz.
- Relocating Evin prison is postponed for lack funds for prisons.
- Isfahan prisons hold 3 times the number of prisoners for standard capacity of the prisons.
- Imprisoned labour activists on hunger strike in Tabriz prison.
News of injustice in Iran
- Sahar Beiram Abadi, Baha’i, sentenced to 2 years in prison + 1 year suspended.
- Scientist Dr. Omid Kokabi is sentenced to 10 years for refusing to cooperate with IRGC.
- Saman Ostevar, Baha’i, director of a pre-school in Bam, sentenced to 2 years in prison + 1 year suspended.
- Mehdi Ramezani, father of Ramin, killed during Iran Election protests, sentenced to 3 years in prison.
- Sirvan Saberi, Kurdish political activist, sentenced to 3 years in prison; he is in Sanandaj prison.
- Nahale Shahidi Baha’i, sentenced to 2 years in prison + 1 year suspended.
- 13 people were tried and convicted of espionage for Israel.
- Majid Jamali Fashi who pleaded guilty for the murder of nuclear scientist Massoud Ali-Mohammadi will be executed on Tuesday May 15.
- One execution in Zanjan on Wednesday.
- One woman and 6 men hanged in Kermanshah, 3 men in Ardebil, and 16 persons in Yazd prison on Thursday, a total of 26 people in one day, of which 5 women and 5 Afghans.
- 4 fingers of a convicted thief were amputated in Mashhad prison.
University – Culture
- The manager of Tehran book fair reported that 120 different books were collected from the fair for what he called a “violation of the fair’s regulations.”
- 397 satellite receivers collected in Arak last week.
- Wave of university professors forced to retire.
- Khamenei’s fatwa (religious ruling) on the illegality of using anti-filtering was blocked.
- Political Prisoner Mohsen Mirdamadi secretary general of Participation Front expelled from Tehran University.
- Parviz Shahriari, major figure in Iranian education -jailed under both Shah and Islamic Republic, dies at 85.
- Book documenting life of Supreme Leader Khamenei banned.
- Last week a group of students from Marivan Azad University gathered in front of the governor’s office in protest to what they call “life dangers.”
- Sugar cane and food industry workers in Shushtar gathered to protest low wages and a lack of transparent contracts.
- Protests in Sistan-Baluchistan turn deadly.
- Battle between armed forces and workers at the Art College in Karaj University.
Economy in Iran
- Eram textile factory in Tehran which employed more than 200 workers has reduced the number of workers to 180.
- 200 workers lost their jobs after “Nab” vegetable oil was closed.
- USD 1 = 1593 tomans.
- Iran, unable to sell oil, stores it on tankers.
- US dollar jumps 7% (from 1580 tomans to 1695 tomans) overnight.
- Statistics Center: Unemployment fell 1.2% to 12.3% in Iranian year ending March 19, 2012.
- Sharp rise in Tehran rents.
- Iran subsidy handouts to increase from 45,500 tomans ($27) to 73,000 tomans ($43) per person per month.
- Iran to raise petrol prices to 700 -1200 tomans per liter with second phase of subsidy reform.
- 325 fertilizer plants shut down in Iran / 15,000 workers laid off.
- Two factories in Zanjan have laid off 140 workers, after not paying their salaries for five months.
- Oil exports reportedly show 90 % fall in two weeks – sanctions held responsible.
- Iran turns off tracking systems on tankers.
- Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs departs for South Africa and Namibia.
- Iran still shipping arms to Syria, UN report finds.
- Islamic Republic of Iran threatens Google with lawsuit if they use a name other than “Persian Gulf”.
- Japan bank freezes Iran accounts after court order.
- Arab hackers launch cyber-attack against Iranian Oil Company.
- Sri Lanka announces reduced purchases of Iranian oil.
- Communications jamming, monitoring, and surveillance equipment, target for new sanctions on Iran.
- Iran to host the 12th international mathematics conference on September 2-5.
- Two Iranian pilgrims abducted in Syria were released and handed over to Turkish officials on the Turkey-Syria border.
Politics in Iran
- Head of Iran’s Assembly of Experts: it is acceptable to issue a warning to the Supreme Leader.
- Battle for the next Majlis speaker’s post: Haddad Adel vs. Larijani.
- Rafsanjani: Iranian government must allow criticism of Iran’s Expediency Council leader; people must be allowed to make constructive criticism of the government
- Iranian Azeris set up national council in Turkey, aspire for independence.
- Majlis approves increase in subsidies in second stage of the Subsidy Reform Plan.
- Iran’s parliament approves $462 billion budget.
- EU force frees Iranian dhow from Somali pirates.
- Remains of 57 Iranian soldiers killed during the war in the 1980s found in Faw peninsula in Iraq.
- Health Ministry is concerned: Increasing alcohol consumption, alcoholism in Iran.
- Air pollution alert issued in Tehran.
- Another retired Sepah Commander dies of heart attack.