ISNA reports Iran Supreme Court orders retrial of Amir Hekmati

Standard

Iran accuses Hekmati of receiving special training while serving at U.S. military bases in Iraq and Afghanistan before heading to Iran for an intelligence mission.

In December, Iran broadcast a video on state television in which Hekmati was shown delivering a purported confession, in which he said he was part of a plot to infiltrate Iran’s intelligence agency.

The U.S. government has denied the charges against Hekmati.

On Monday, the semiofficial ISNA news agency said the case would be retried.

The report quoted state prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehei as saying, “There was an appeal on his verdict. The Supreme Court found shortcomings in the case and sent it for review by an equivalent branch” of in the court system.

The report did not elaborate.

Last month Hekmati’s mother visited him in prison and met with Iranian officials. Some saw this as a sign that Iran might show moderation in the case.

A previous incident involving Americans in Iran was resolved, but only after two years.

In 2009, three U.S. citizens were detained along the Iraq border. The three said they crossed the border unintentionally during a hike. They, too, were charged with espionage, but there were no specific allegations of CIA ties and training as in the case of Hekmati.

The three were sent to prison. One was released for medical reasons and the other two were freed last September, in deals involving bail payments brokered by Oman, which has good relations with both Iran and the U.S.

Global BC

One thought on “ISNA reports Iran Supreme Court orders retrial of Amir Hekmati

  1. #Iran news about Hekmati re-trial comes just 2 days after US Navy performed yet another rescue of Iranian sailor.

    tw: 03/04/2012 10:30:59 AM PST

    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates —The U.S. Navy says it has rescued an Iranian merchant seaman and recovered the bodies of three others after their boat capsized during rough weather in the Gulf.
    U.S. Navy vessels and helicopters called off the search Sunday for two remaining members of the Iranian crew because of harsh conditions, including 30-knot winds and waves up to eight feet (2 1/2 meters), that made chances of survival slim.
    The Navy says it launched the rescue mission Saturday after spotting a life raft with one survivor, who said their boat went down late Friday. The survivor was transferred to an Iranian coast guard vessel Saturday. The bodies of three crew members were found later.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s