News of the Prisoners
- Arsalan Bourna political prisoner in Sanandaj has been taken to an unknown destination.
- Hamid Moghadasi transferred to hospital after heart strike.
- Abdolfattah Soltani transferred to Evin 350.
- Student activist Peyman Aref was arrested in a raid of his home Tuesday. This is his 3rd arrest.
- Hossein Kamangar, human rights activist of Kamyaran, was arrested 40 days ago; no news so far.
- Pedram Nasrollahi, Workers’ Rights activist, arrested in Sanandaj.
- Gonabadi Dervishes member Kasra Nouri was re-arrested Wednesday in a raid of his home in Shiraz.
- Christian convert Fariborz Parsinejad has been arrested in Esfahan.
- Behnoud Ramezani’s parents and aunt were arrested on Tuesday, his memorial services cancelled by Intelligence Minister in Ghaemshahr .
- Farid Taheri, member of Iran Freedom Movement, back to Evin after 2 days furlough.
- Mohammad Tavasoli, member of Iran Freedom Movement, back to Evin after 2 days furlough.
- 48 men and women arrested in a night party in Hamedan.
- Teacher Amin Yaghinlou was arrested Feb 20 in Shahriyar. Reason for arrest is unknown.
- Sumitra Momtazian, Baha’i from Shiraz, released on 100 million toman bail.
- Ahmadreza Ahmadpour on hunger strike.
- Dr. Asadollah Asadi attempted suicide due to depression caused by mental & physical torture.
- Davood Bahmanabadi ended his hunger strike.
- Attempted assassination of Ayatollah Boroujerdi in Prison.
- Amnesty International launches urgent action for journalist Rahman Ghahremanpour Bonab.
- Daughter of Iran opposition leader MirHossein Mousavi is fine, after her car was in an accident caused by intelligence agent who pursued her.
- Taghi Rahmani, Nargess Mohammadi’s spouse, has left Iran with their young twins to start a new life away from oppression.
- Mohammad Ali Velayati on hunger strike.
News of injustice in Iran
- Ayeh Anvari Baha’i, has been sentenced to 1 1/2 year.
- Azari political activist Mehdi Dayhimi has been sentenced to 5 months in prison.
- Anisa and Keyvan Dehghani, Baha’i, have been sentenced to 1 1/2 year each.
- Poet and Women’s rights activist Faranak Farid has been sentenced to 91 days in prison + fines by Court in Tabriz.
- Human Rights Activisist Kouhyar Goudarzi sentenced to 5 years in prison in exile in Zabol.
- Ali Khodabakhsh, owner of Shargh newspaper sentenced to 1 year in prison.
- Member of Nematolahi Dervishes Parviz Malekshahi has been sentenced to 6 months by the Appeals Court.
- Journalist Keyvan Mehregan gets one-year jail term.
- Sanaz Tafzali Baha’i has been sentenced to 1 1/2 year.
- 8 prisoners executed in Zahedan, 2 were women.
- Three prisoners were executed in Shahr-e-Kord early morning on Saturday.
- 2 men publicly hanged in Mashhad on Tuesday morning.
- Three executions in Ghazvine prison on Tuesday morning.
University – Culture
- Film director Jafar Panahi awarded ARTS FOR LIBERTY PRIZE.
- Meshkat Shadepour, student of computer studies at the Imam `Ali University in Yazd, has been expelled because of his religious beliefs, he is Baha’i.
- Afrouz Zabihi, Baha’i, expelled from secondary school because of her beliefs.
- ‘Principalist’ website is filtered after revealing details of a deal by Iran with significant advantage 4 China.
- Ceremony in honor of Oscar winner Asghar Farhadi canceled after failing 2receive official permission.
- Al Jazeera to launch Farsi-language channel.
- Judiciary orders that printing of special supplement of Iran newspaper with special analysis of Presidential hearing be stopped
- Newspaper Fekrat banned from publication.
- Khashayar Zara`i, member of judo national team, expelled from the university because he is a Baha’i.
Economy in Iran
- Approximately $1.4 billion stolen by government from private banks.
- License of electronic bank Aryan has been revoked.
- Last year Iran had a budget surplus of 8% of GDP while it borrowed from domestic sources 11.6% of GDP.
- Iran cut off from global financial system.
- $1 = 2200 tomans.
- Iran buys U.S. wheat again.
- More than 100 workers of Espidar china factory in Saveh had a gathering in protest of not being paid for five months in front of the factory on Feb 27th.
- 2,000 workers on strike in Shushtar.
- Sugar factory workers protest the withholding of wages in Ahvaz.
- Iranian alleged arms-dealer released from U.S. prison after 5 years.
- Japan follows allies, adds Iranian bank (bank Tejarat) to sanctions list.
- Bank Melli, state-run lender that is subject to 2EU sanctions, lost an EU court bid to unfreeze its funds.
- U.N. questions Iranian elections.
- Ahmadinejad, Defense Minister meet with Azerbaijani Defense Minister.
- Hussein Amir-Abdollahian, Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs: Iran will continue to give full support to the Syrian government and people.
- Ali Akbar Javanfekr, Ahmadinejad’s Press Adviser and head of IRNA news agency visits Lebanon.
- Iranian man held in Malaysia et accused of involvement in alleged terror plot in Bangkok appeared in court.
- Mahmoud Zahar, top Hamas official visits Tehran.
- Warrant against 3 Iranians in Delhi blast case.
- UK launches “UK for Iraninans” site after shut down of its Embassy in Iran.
- Messages show Bashar al-Assad took advice from Iran.
- Azerbaijan arrests 22 Iranian spies.
- India and Iran agree to boost trade between the countries to USD 25 billion.
- Ambassador to Sofia ready to invest in construction of oil refinery in Bulgaria.
- First Vice President: Iran is ready to hold training courses for the Iraqi workforce in various fields.
- Majlis member Assadallah Abbasi 4,000 of the Oil Ministry’s experts have sought asylum in foreign countries.
Politics in Iran
- Green Coordination Council says election boycott a ‘triumph’ for opposition.
- Mothers of Laleh Park denounce persecution of activists.
- Iranian Majlis approves allocation of $18-billion to administration.
- Ahmadinejad appoints members of supervisory constitutional board – First Vice President Mohammadreza Rahimi, Vice President for Strategic Planning and Supervision Ibrahim Azizi, Vice President for Parliamentary Affairs Mohammadreza Mirtajedini, and Justice Minister Morteza Bakhtiari.
- IRI stations its security forces in streets of Mashhad to prevent celebrations of Chahrshanbeh Souri.
- Ahmadinejad mocks Majlis members during his hearing.
- Rafsanjani, dubbed “the shark,” has been appointed by the Supreme Leader as the new Chairman of the Expediency Council.
- Sedigheh Zare’ieFirst Iranian woman to graduate in naval navigation.
- According to UN, 89% of opium and 32% of heroin drugs trafficking in the world are being dealt by Iran.
- Bushehr nuclear power plant taken off Iran’s electric grid.
- Dust pollution in Khouzestan province at alarming level.