News of the Prisoners
- Javid Alikhani transferred to Modarres hospital last week.
- Hossein Ronaghi Maleki was taken to hospital due to deteriorating health. Despite recommendation by physicians for Ronaghi to have more surgery, he and his family did not consent, citing denial of medical furlough after surgery as the reason, and Ronaghi was taken back to Evin prison from the hospital.
- Ali Nejati, workers’ rights activist is back in prison.
- Baha’i Sarir Sadeghi was arrested at his home in Karaj on a warrant issued in Shiraz.
- Hossein Taheri, student activist of Azad University of Shiraz arrested.
- Two men, 25 and 27 years old, arrested in Rasht for running “indecent” websites.
- 4 Kurds arrested in the Kurdish city of Saquez by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.
- After 140 days in Sepah’s Ward 2-A, blogger Davoud Bahmanabadi was released on bail.
- Human rights activist and blogger Kouhyar Goudarzi released on bail.
- Civil activist Dr. Ellaheh Maaroozi has been released from Mashhad prison after one month in temporary detention.
- Meisam Mashayekh was released on bail from Noshahr prison last week after 1 month in detention.
- Behnam Sheikhi has been released on bail from Ardebil Intel detention center.
- Davoud Shiri has been released on bail from Tabriz Intel detention center.
- Esmail Barzegari, political prisoner on hunger strike for 30 days, suffered stomach bleeding.
- Imprisoned web designer Mohammad Soleimani-Nia on hunger strike in Evin.
News of injustice in Iran
- Singer Arya Aramnejad has been sentenced to one year prison on new charges.
- Education rights activist Bashir Ehsani has been sentenced by Appeals Court to 2 years in prison + 3 years suspended.
- Mousavi 2009 presidential campaign activist Hossein Sarbandi has been sentenced to one year in prison.
- After almost three years in prison, Reformist Mostafa Tajzadeh was arraigned on new charges for issuing statements from Evin criticizing the establishment.
- Kourosh Zaim, 72, given three-year suspended sentence.
- One prisoner was hanged in the town of Aran-Bigdel on April 5th.
- 5 unidentified people were hanged in Kerman and Bam.
- 3 executions in Shahr-e-Kord on Tuesday.
- 2 executions in Tabas on Tuesday.
University – Culture
- Shirin Ebadi, first Muslim woman to win Nobel Peace Prize, to receive honorary degree from Westfield State University.
- Iran ‘blocks’ official London 2012 Olympics website.
- Iran’s security forces renew their crusade against satellite dishes.
- 15 female students at Shahrekord University have been expelled from dormitories for improper Hejab.
- Laid-off workers protest at Labor Ministry.
- 2,000 Sugar cane workers protest in south western Iran.
Economy in Iran
- Iran nearly triples jet fuel prices from 400 tomans to 1143 tomans per litre.
- Iran offical statement: exports, not taking oil into account, are booming despite sanctions.
- Board members of Bank Melli reportedly banned from leaving country.
- Iran’s central bank posted an inflation rate of 21.5% for the last Persian year which ended March 19.
- 30% of workers in all Iran production units have been laid off since March 20, 2012.
- Bread prices set to increase again.
- Iran reportedly plans to give every job held by a woman to two women each working part-time!
- Iran slips to 144th place out of 183 in ‘Doing Business’ ranking.
- Purchase of foreign made products is reportedly banned at Azad University.
- The upcoming floating price of gasoline in #Iran expected to be between 900 to 1500 tomans depending on quality and dollar price.
- Rice was 3800 toman/kg 3 months ago, now it’s 4500 toman/kg.
- Iran allegedly plans to sell all its petrochemical industry to investors.
- Millions of barrels of Iranian oil that were in Iranian tankers a few weeks ago now seem to have disappeared according to Reuters.
- Central Bank reports 35% increase in food prices compared to last year. Biggest price increases since last year, tomatoes (112.8%), cucumbers (102.2%), watermelons (68.6%), Tangerines (62.5%) .
- Arrested member of Iranian regimes revolutionary guard confess crack down in Syria.
- Iran hackers target Tunisia PM.
- Kofi Annan visited Tehran on Tuesday.
- Iran has cut oil exports to Spain and may halt sales to Germany and Italy.
- Iran bought over $7 million worth of ‘bull semen’ from the US in 2011.
- U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom blasts Iran for violation of religious rights.
- UAE reportedly recalls ambassador in Iran islands row.
- Iran exported 164 tons of expired food products to Iraqi Kurdistan during a period of one month.
- China to begin delivering supertankers to Iran in May.
Politics in Iran
- Head of Parliament A. Larijani allegedly asked Khamenei to stop the implementation of the second round of subsidies reform.
- For first time, Majlis Integration Committee rejected general outlines of national budget bill for Persian year 1391.
- Resignation of Governor of the Central Bank Mahmoud Bahmani rejected.
- Iran Intelligence Ministry announced: main members of a terrorist network affiliated to Israel captured in a nation-wide swoop. No details or dates were given.
- Iran to Host Islamic Chamber of Commerce and Industries Meeting.
- Iran navy rescues China crew from hijacked freighter. Some of the captured pirates, who were taken to Iran, looked young enough to be minors.
- One in every five Tehranis suffers from Diabetes.