News of the Prisoners
- After 3 months in Intel detention, cultural activist Jabar Yebari has been moved to Karoon prison in Ahvaz.
- Amin Zargarnezhad transferred to solitary in Tabriz prison.
- Idris Kaveh, Bohran Keyvanpour, Hamid Parhizkar, Kurdish villagers, arrested in Nei, and Shamzin Ahmadnezhad, Shahoo Partavi, Mohammad-Amin Salimi , Mohammad Savarkar, Asad Soleimannezhad, Khalil Zibaei recently arrested in Mahabad.
- After 3 days on medical leave Baha’i professor Farhad Sadeghi returned to prison.
- Student activist Navid Gorgin was arrested in Esfahan last week.
- Ahmad Hashemi former president Khatami’s Inspector General at the Interior Ministry started serving 5 years sentence.
- Greens supporter journalist Ali Moslehi was arrested in Kashan.
- Journalist/civil activist Aref Darvish was released from prison after completing 1 year sentence.
- Cyrus Fatehi, workers’ rights activist, released on bail.
- Mitra Homayouni, workers’ rights activist, released on bail.
- Journalist Nazanin Khosravani released for one week after posting bail.
- Blogger/Human Rights activist Hossein Ronaghi Maleki has been released on bail on medical furlough.
- Saeed Marzban, workers’ rights activist, released on bail.
- Labor activist Maziar Mehrpour has been released on bail.
- Farhad Sadeghi released from Rejaei Shahr on medical furlough.
- Temporary release of imprisoned Christian convert Mehrdad Sajjadi on high bail.
- Masoud Salimpour, workers’ rights activist, released on bail.
- Cleric blogger Arash Honarvar Shojaei has started a hunger strike upon return to Evin after expiry of Medical furlough. He fell unconscious on the 4th day and was transferred to clinic.
- In protest against transfer from ward 12 to ward 10 in Rajaei Shahr prison, 53 prisoners refuse food rations; 40 announce hunger strike
News of injustice in Iran
- Samin Ehsani, Baha’i children’s rights activist, sentenced to 5 years in prison.
- Semnan Court of Appeals has sentenced Elham Roozbehei to 24 months in prison.
- Court of Appeals in Semnan has sentenced Baha’i Taraneh Torabi to 20 months in prison.
- The two men sentenced to death following their two previous convictions for alcohol consumption have had their death sentences commuted and each received 80 lashes.
- One public hanging in Ahar on Sunday.
- 4 hangings on Monday, 1 publicly and 3 in Semnan.
University – Culture
- The Jameh Mosque and Gonbad-e Qabus Tower have been approved as World Heritage sites.
- Filmmaker Asghar Farhadi has been invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- 1070 satellite dishes seized in Northern Iran.
- Tehran International puppet theater festival kicks off.
- Modernist Iranian painter Mansureh Hosseini dies at 86.
- Mahmoud Dowlatabadi ‘s “The Colonel” just published in the US.
- Police raided and disrupted the Pen Society meeting held by Dr. Khazali and prevented Mohammad Nourizad from entering the meeting.
- Another concert cancelled because men and women were not separated.
- Misagh Afshar, Student in Beheshti University expelled because he is Baha’i.
- Activists protest in support of Abr Forest.
- Families of detained workers’ rights activists meet to protest
- Disabled people demonstrated in front of the General Health Organization of Iran’s offices to protest the non-payment of disability benefits.
- Telecom workers to strike and protest working conditions in Shiraz.
Economy in Iran
- Ministry of industry and mines raises interest rates on loans to industry from 11% to 21%.
- Iran discovers 6 billion barrels of new oil reserves.
- Iran automobile production drops 40% this year.
- 4,000 Iranian brick workers lose jobs after plant closure.
- No Iranian crude imports for Japan in July.
- Sanctions cut Iran’s July oil exports to near 1 million barrels per day.
- Salehi, Iran Foreign Minister briefly detained by Lanarca airport security last week in Cyprus.
- U.N. publishes report on Iran arms trade with Syria.
- Iran calls for extraordinary OPEC meeting.
- Qatar frees 8 jailed Iran fishermen.
- Saudi Arabia has not resumed issuing visas to Iranian pilgrims following the suspension on the death of the Crown Prince
- Iran summons Afghan diplomat.
- Saudi decided not to execute Iranian prisoners. Sentences commuted to 15 years in jail.
- Iran proposes opening of bank branch in Mumbai, India.
- The 2 Iranians arrested in Kenya with 15 kgs of explosives are members of IRGC Qods force which executes terror attacks against targets outside Iran.
- Iran arrests two men on charges of spying for Azerbaijan; Iranian ambassador to Baku recalled.
- Frankfurt prosecutor office: Iran’s Vice Consulate is accused of sexually molesting children.
- Iran invites Egypt’s new Islamist president to non-aligned summit in Tehran in August.
Politics in Iran
- Iranian authorities ban selling food and transport services 2 foreign (read Afghan) citizens without residence permit.
- Foreign Ministry rejects anti-Semitic remarks of first Vice President Rahimi.
- The government retreats from implementing the second phase of targeted subsides.
- Iran dismisses militia commanders involved in the British embassy attack.
- Speaker of Syrian parliament to visit Iran.
- Tehran to host conference on ‘women and Islamic awakening’ next week.
- Reza Taghipour, Minister of Communications, admitted surveillance and illegally intercepting citizens’ conversations.
- One hour “temporary marriage” (Islamic prostitution contract) in Iran at $35-$50/hour.
- 63% of Iranians vote to stop Uranium-enrichment in online poll on Iran’s national TV’s website.