News of the Prisoners
- Mohammad-Amin Agooshi, Iraj Mohammadi, Mohammad Pouladkhani transferred from Urmiah prison to Zahedan.
- Afhsin Heiratian, Peyman Kashfi, Foad Khanjani, Didar Raoufi, Azizollah Samandari, Sharokh Taeef, Baha’i, transferred from Evin to Rajaei Shahr.
- Member of Painters Union, WorkersRights activist Shahrokh Zamani moved to Tabriz prison.
- Member of Gonabadi Dervishes, Abdolghafour Ghalandari, was arrested in Bandar Abbas
- Furlough extension was denied for student activist Bahareh Hedayat, she returned to Evin.
- Student activist/journalist Ali Malihi is back in prison after a short furlough.
- Khosro Pakar, Kurdish citizen of Maku, was arrested last month.
- Blogger Mohammad Hassan Roozitaleb arrested after post alluding to Larijani brothers as ‘Brothers Dictatorship”.
- Secretary General of Advare Tahkim (Alumni Association) Dr. Ahmad Zeidabadi is back in Evin after a short furlough
- Shahab Deghani and Sarang Etehadi, Baha’i, released on bail from Evin.
- Pro Ahmadinejad blogger Ahmad Shariat, arrested 18 days ago, has been released.
- Political prisoner Jalil Taheri released from Evin after serving his 1 year sentence.
- Nahid Zahraei, Baha’i, free on bail.
- At the urging of physicians, hospitalized political prisoner Abolfazl Ghadiani ended his hunger strike.
- Faezeh Hashemi (Rafsanjani’s daughter, sentenced to jail) flees Iran.
- Hossein Ronaghi Maleki’s medical furlough has been extended until August 20; he has a 7th surgical operation.
- Political prisoner Ali Moezzi refuses to attend his court hearing on account of being a “kangaroo court”.
News of injustice in Iran
- Islamic Appeal Court upholds the six year prison term for detained Christian Farshid Fat’hi.
- Mohammad Mahmoudi, Kurdish political prisoner, sentenced to 5 years.
- Kurdish political prisoner Bakhtiar Memari has been sentenced to death on Moharebeh charges.
- Baha’i Shahram Mokhtari has been sentenced to 4 months in prison+32 months suspended sentence.
- Student activist Mohammad Hossein Mozafari has been sentenced to 1year suspended for 5 years + 5 year ban on political activities
University – Culture
- Female applicants no longer allowed in engineering at Chamran University of Ahwaz.
- Over 600 degree programs in 60 Iranian universities have become segregated by gender.
- Babak Ferdowsi, the flight director with the mohawk that became the Star of NASA’s Curiosity landing.
- Teachers and education professionals rallied in front of Parliament protesting employment conditions.
Economy in Iran
- In Lorestan province, 27 delis and grocery stores were closed.
- 1,333 business units were closed down in Azerbayejan Sharghi province without the framework of an improved social security plan.
- 1 $ = 2022 tomans on Sunday, 2100 on Monday, 2210 on Tuesday, 2100 on Wednesday
- Iran government purchases 200 Mercedes Benz S-500 for NAM summit in Tehran / More than $20M.
- 358 Iranians among top buyers in the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest tower.
- Iran regime reports 4 dozen people kidnapped in Damascus. 3 of them reported killed during regular army assault against FSA. Iran admits that some are ‘retired’ members of IRGC.
- EU Council takes 5 Iranian bank managers off sanctions list.
- Iranian, Turkish foreign ministers talk Syria.
- Standard Chartered Bank accused of scheming with Iran to hide transactions.
- Iran’s security chief, Jalili, set to meet Syrian president Assad after Lebanon visit.
- Iran, excluded from other meetings on Syria, hosts its own.
- After 48 years, citizens of Turkey will need a visa to enter Iran.
Politics in Iran
- MP Sobhaninia: If Mortazavi is not dismissed from his position, Labor and Social Welfare Minister will be impeached.
- Five days of official holiday for Tehran during the NAM summit!
- Governors General for Hamedan and Sistan-Baluchestan replaced.
- Despite environment & grassroots protest, Gorgan Council to destroy part of Naharkhoran forest to build a museum.
- 116 suicides recorded due to Aluminium phosphide poisoning.
- Iran wins its first gold medal at London 2012 thanks to wrestler Hamid Sourian.